Saturday, September 27, 2008

Party Status...

The surgery party is still in full swing which is why I am writing this at Starbucks across the street in the middle of the day. Caffeine is a must for these sort of parties (thanks, Cassidy for my coffee). I wish I knew why hospitals make you so tired it is one of life's great mysteries. We are thankful to be out of ICU but our current set up is really similar and so we are hoping to more to a private room soon. We will still be in the PCU with all the monitoring but we will get a shower and couch of our own. Grace is more alert today and this afternoon we tried to substitute Tylenol with codeine for the morphine. I love that she is more alert, it is just hard to watch her be so scared. She doesn't seem to complain of anything hurting but she is really quiet and apprehensive and shakes her head "no" anytime walks in wearing scrubs. We keep telling her the worst is over and she will be ok; but, she isn't convinced of that just yet.

The exciting part of the party today (and I use the word party lightly) was that we gave her a bath in her bed and I was able to hold her for a few minutes. We also tried the plug on the trach and her oxygen levels didn't change so Praise God. I am not sure if they will try that with her sleeping yet but at least we know that her air way is clear enough for her to breathe on her own while awake and that is AWESOME. It is still too early to assess the speech benefits because of the swelling in the palate and the heavy secreations in the trach. How different her life will be when she can communicate clearly - as much as I want that I can barely wrap my mind around it!

So today has been forward progress. Our specific prayer request would be that she would not be so afraid and that she would be accepting of the trach!!! We also would ask that her speech show the dramatic improvement that this reconstruction allows.

Today we started learning a bit about how to care for the trach hands on and that will continue on for the coming week. We have a few classes and test we as parents must pass before we can go home with her. So we all have our work cut out for us.

Grace woke up this morning asking for "the Boy", aka Judd. We told was with with Aunt Sheri, Uncle Troy and the boys and so she settled for just calling him. Caroline is with the Weavers this weekend and enjoying being the only princess, I am sure. Judd and Caroline are doing great and having so much fun. We are so thankful to all of you who are walking throught this with us in so many ways. Instead of wishing to win the lottery everyone should wish to have our family and friends. Your love, support and encouragement make our hearts richer! That reminds me, my hubby said, "bring me back some bold coffee, sweetHEART". So I need to get right on that!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bridge for giving us specific prayer requests to bodly lift to our God. I KNOW He is hearing our requests. You and D are doing a wonderful job. I am so very proud of you both!! We are holding you all so close in our hearts.
Much love,
Ali and Tony

Anonymous said...

Hello Gracie!!
I have been thinking about you so much today. I am glad today has been a good day. I know you enjoyed talking to the "boy"! He loves you so much and I know he can't wait until you get home. I bought you a little fun surprise today. I'll give it to you when I see you soon!
Remember, our awesome God is watching over you and there is nothing to be afriad of when He is near. He loves you and so do soooooo many others!!
Love,
Ms. Ali

Papa Dave said...

Gracie, We are so excited you are continuing to improve and are now moving around.

Congratulations on your new private room. Now more of your friends will be able to come see you. Love, Papa Dave

Norsworthytx said...

Hey sweet Gracie! It's Mimi & Katie! We were just getting updated on your blog. We love you so much & so happy that you are doing great!! :) Can't wait to see you soon pretty girl!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace, We are so glad that you are doing better as each day goes by. You are a VERY Brave little girl! Caroline had a great time coloring the picture for you today. Catherine, Courtney, William and Christine say "HI" and send you lots of Hugs and Kisses. Love, Mrs. Alice

Anonymous said...

Grace, I am so excited to hear that you are doing so well! I am sure you just want to get up and run around, but just keep resting and getting stronger so that your body can heal up perfectly. It won't be too much longer and you'll be back to playing and running around! Hannah & Grant want me to tell you "Hi!" and that they are looking forward to seeing you again soon. I hope to come visit you on Monday! You can tell your mommy that I will call to take her lunch order! So you get your rest and I'll see you soon!
Love,
Ms. Denise

Anonymous said...

Hi Gracie!
This is Princess, the puppy and I am so excited that you are in your OWN room now! You are awesome!! I was thinking about you yesterday because even I have to go to the doctor sometimes. My leg was hurting me so the doctor gave me some medicine that is helping make it feel all better!! I had to be brave too but I thought about you and how brave you are! I can't wait for you to come over and play with me!!
Ruff ruff, Your friend,
Princess DiCamillo

Anonymous said...

Grace,

I am happy to hear what a great job you are doing recovering. What a big responsible girl you are - I am so proud of you.I can only hope Sydney will be half as brave and sweet as you. Keep up the great work.
Love,
Becky
BTW - Thank you Mommy for the updates.

Anonymous said...

We continue to be so proud of you Gracie! You keep showing all those nurses and doctors at TCH what a brave big girl Grace Ellen Roth is! :)
You put the biggest smile EVER on my face when I heard your voice today...and I know Judd was VERY excited to talk to you too.
We will pray for you to be strong and for mommy and daddy to get a more comfortable room for you all.

Love..Aunt Sheri

Anonymous said...

Hi Gracie. Judd is fun to play with. Hope you get better.

Ryan

Norsworthytx said...

Good morning Gracie! Hope you had a great night! Just wanted to check on you. Belle can't wait to see you too! We love you sweet girl!! :) Love Mimi, Uncle JD, Katie, Jake & Belle

Cassidy said...

Good Morning Grace (and her mommy and daddy),
What another great update. We will be praying for the things your mom posted. We are thinking about you often. Caroline Joy says "hi"!!

Love, Ms. Cassidy

Anonymous said...

Good morning Gracie. Papa Dave hopes you had a very good night last night and that Mommy and Daddy also were able to rest. I know you are excited having your own room in which to have your surgery party.

Grandonna and I look forward to seeing you latter today.

Love, Papa Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Gracie! I love how your daddy decorated your room for the party. Who knew your parents were so talented in writing and art! We had fun playing with your baby sister all weekend and we hope you get better soon so we can have a playdate with you too! We are so proud of you for being so brave and hope you have another great day! Love, Caleb's mommy and daddy