Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Good Night...

Does anyone else's Grandmother say, "good night a livin'?" Mine does and it cracks me up! What in the world does that mean? Anyways, our family had a good night. Darrell had gone home last night to see the little ones and catch up on sleep and tonight I got to do the same -although I haven't made it to bed just yet. I have sort of a caffeine high maybe more like a Judd and Caroline high. It was so great to hug and kiss on them and hear their silly laughs. They are doing great and have been so well loved on by family and friends that they may ask Grace to go back to the hospital more often!

Grace and Darrell also had a good night. She got to be on Radio Lollipop at the hospital. She won a coloring contest and so they announced her name over the radio and she is as proud as if she had won a Grammy! This morning she delayed her plans of doing all the things she had promised yesterday but by the end of the day - she came through and she got it done! Medically speaking she is doing amazingly well. The verdict on to what degree the surgery improved her speech is still out. We are beginning to notice changes already but the next few months and year will reveal the full benefits. All good stuff. I will try to give more detail on the procedure they did and why it was necessary in a post soon.

She is definitely more herself, playing and interacting. She was still fighting and protesting meds and trach care during the day but Darrell said she did well tonight. My prayer all day has been that we could get just one good experience to grow on with trach care and it sounds like tonight may have been just that! She gets so worked up about it that it becomes 20x's more traumatic than it should be. If she could just see it is easier when she cooperates our jobs would be so much easier. A pretty general parenting concept, I suppose!

There is a lot to do in prepartion for us coming home according to the hospital. They have to be sure we have the medical equipment for the trach, the supplies and also nursing services arranged before we can be released. D and I also have to pass our classes on trach CPR (which I hope to never use) and trach care. That one includes learning how to take it out and put a new one in - yikes! I fear this could be yet another fainting opportunity for me! D and I will be competing for teacher's pet so class should be fun!

Good Night a Livin', I just saw the clock! My concept of time is horrible! Tommorow is almost today - so good night and good day until next time! Bridget

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Early Morning Grace, Mommy &
Daddy:
Just had to read your update before
I take off on my trip.
I am so happy that you are doing so
well. Hang in there girl, and know
that whatever Mommy & Daddy are doing
it is to make you get well that much
quicker.
Love You Bunches, and can't wait to come and see you, you know what I would like to do. If we can find some Paper Dolls, I would
love to sit down in the floor and
play Paper Dolls, have not done that since I was a little girl.
In fact, don't know if they still
make Paper Doll books or not.
You will have to find out for me.
Love,
Aunt Darlene

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Gracie!

WOW! I am so excited about you winning the coloring contest and being on Radio Lollipop. I wish I could have heard them say your name. Did they let you keep the picture your colored. I want to see it!

I'm so proud of you!! You are being such a big, brave girl.

I love you,
Miss Ann

Anonymous said...

You won a coloring contest Gracie?! WOW!!! I can't wait to tell Ryan he will think that's the coolest thing!
D and Bridget...so glad you got to see the kiddos. I know they were so happy to feel your touch. We love you guys dearly! Keep up the wonderful job you are doing as parents..you inspire me!..and I know you are making Grandma so proud

Anonymous said...

Gracie,
Happy Day!! I know today will be a great day. That is so cool you won the coloring contest...its fun to hear your name on the radio!! Keep up the brave job you are doing and soon you'll get to go home. I know you want that! I'll give Caroline and Judd a kiss from you today!!
Love you sweet girl,
Ms. Ali

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhh Gracie, that is SO cool you were on the radio! I want an autograph!

Knock-Knock.
Who’s there?
Radio.
Radio Who?
Radio not, here she comes!

And I hope to see your art work some time. Maybe one day your mom could put it on your blog? Or am I showing my blog-tech No-How?

OK, I found more knock-knocks, so look out!

Knock-Knock.
Who’s there?
Omelet.
Omelet Who?
Omelet smarter than I look!
[Tell this to everyone you see -- be loud and proud!]

Knock-Knock.
Who’s there?
Accordion.
Accordion Who?
Accordion to the TV, it's going to rain tomorrow.

Yippee! I'm gonna go play in the rain! Ask your parents if --when you get well enough -- you can play in the rain sometime? It's splashing good fun!

Love,
Aunt Lynnette

Mize said...

Hi Grace--

You are doing great, Girl!!! Good job on getting everything done yesterday and for winning the coloring contest!! You ROCK! Keep up the good work and remember to help your Mom, Dad and nurses to take care of you...that is important, too.

Are you going to frame the picture you colored? I'd love to see it!

Sending love and prayers,
Mark, Heather, Grant and Ben Mize

Anonymous said...

Grace~

Congratulations on winning the coloring contest! I bet it was exciting hearing your name on the radio-good job. I am glad to hear that things are getting better. Hang in there-before you know it you will be running around with your brother and sister at home.
Love You,
Jamie R.

Danel said...

YEAH Grace! Congratulations of winning your coloring contest! You are such a good colorer...so I am not surprised you won. But even a bigger YEAH for letting Mommy and Daddy and the doctors take good care of you. You are so brave and I just can't wait to give you a big hug.
Lots of love-
Ms. Danel

PS_Jacob and Sean say hello.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Gracie! I am so proud of you for winning the coloring contest! You must have got your artistic genes from your daddy! So are you famous like Hannah Montana now? I hope you have another fantastic day! I miss you and cant wait to see you!
Love, Caleb's mommy

Ashley said...

That's SO awesome Grace for being the coloring contest winner; we have a little artist on our hands!! Keep up your bravery, you are doing so, so great! And don't forget to give Mom and Dad a big hug and tell them what wonderful parents they are; you're a very blessed little girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Grace,

Good job on the coloring contest! You are doing great! Last night Emily asked to see "Grapes", so we looked at your pictures on the website. We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon.

The Calverts

Anonymous said...

Gracie,

I hear you are quite to artist. Color me a picture when you get a chance. I miss you and will see you later.

I love you
Uncle Troy

Anonymous said...

Morning Gracie...your mom spoke with Mr Mike last night about your coming home soon - please hurry Boomer is growing very impatient. Oh by the way - Hannah will be home this week-end and would love to see you!

Cassidy said...

Hi Grace,
Way to go on the coloring contest, that is so cool that they said your name on the radio! I wish I could see your award winning picture! Hope you are having a great day!!!
Love, Ms. Cassidy and Caroline Joy

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Grace is doing well. I spoke to Melissa yesterday and she said that Grace was progressing more quickly than expected.
Miss Grace,
I am very proud of you and look forward to seeing you again.

Brandy (Aunt MeMe's sister)

Anonymous said...

Grace, you are officially a ROCK STAR if they said your name on the radio. Tell Mommy and Daddy that they will do great in the CPR class that they have to take and that you expect nothing but the best from both of them. Keep up the good work and God Bless you Angel!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Dear Grace,

You go girl! Keep coloring and winning those contest. I'll have to let Ms. Marine know about you winning the contest. Tomorrow (Thursday) I'm not going to school at Dickinson, but I will tell her on Friday.

Tell mom and dad to do a good job on their test so you can go home. Maybe I can come see you then.

Smile, Love, Mrs. Schueler

Anonymous said...

Grace, I'm pretty sure that if you get your name said on the radio, that means you are famous! That's pretty cool! I'm also so happy to hear that you had a great day today. We saw your Daddy & Judd tonight (we took over some bread for breakfast...maybe he'll bring you some!) and your Daddy said you are walking around and playing and just doing great. I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Love, Ms. Denise

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad everything is going well. I cannot wait to hear that you are up and around and headed home. That will be one step closer to coming back to school. We all are thinking about you and missing you very much. See you soon and keep up the great recovery and your wonderful bravery. See you soon!
Love,
Mrs. Ross